Saturday, November 27, 2010

130/365 Thou Shall Eat Thine Own Sweets

Friends and Fitness Enthusiasts,

As winter's chill begins to set in, Christmas and other holiday parties will be getting underway. I think we can all agree that we don't need to try every dessert put out on the table. A rule I try to follow is to only eat sweets that I make myself. This is pretty restricting as I am often too busy to bake. I sometimes extend this to sweets that my friends make or those that are made by people I know, not a bakery, grocery store, food chain.

The major reason for this commandment is because I know that we are often too busy, too lazy, or simply don't know how to bake our own sweet treats. If we can't do it, then we can't eat it.

The second reason is the ingredients used. I know everything that I am putting into my dessert. I have the power to decide the recipe I choose. Will it use shortening? Will it use lard? How much sugar is in it? Can I adjust it? I also know that most of my friends don't have access to high fructose corn syrup, soy lecithin, or any other additives. I can be certain that the only ingredient put into my treat that can't be found in the grocery store is love; it makes the food taste extra good.

So, at your next engagement, do your best to only eat the sweets that you contribute. Your only possible exception would be goods handmade by someone you know personally.

In health,

Lauren

No comments:

Post a Comment

Labels

abdominals (19) alcohol (2) almonds (3) antiperspirants (1) apparel (6) apples (6) avocado (3) back (13) baking (13) balance (6) banana (2) barley (1) blood pressure (2) book (1) bosu (4) bread (5) breakfast (9) brownies (1) calf stretch (1) calories (4) candy (2) carbohydrates (5) cardio (23) chest (5) chicken breast (2) chocolate (16) cholesterol (2) circuit training (3) cold (1) computer (1) control (19) cookie (3) core (6) cycling (5) dancing (3) delicious (7) desk (1) diabetes (1) diet (32) donating blood (1) downward facing dog (2) endurance training (3) energy (7) energy drinks (1) exercise (92) fat (6) feeling good (6) fiber (5) fitness (10) flaxseeds (2) food (62) form (2) fruit (13) gait (6) gardening (1) goal (10) granola (5) grape seed oil (2) hamstrings (3) headstand (1) healthy (24) heart disease (1) heart rate (5) hearty (2) hiking (2) hips (2) holiday (5) hydration (10) ice (1) injury (2) intervals (6) jiu jitsu (1) journal (2) jump rope (2) junk food (25) kale (1) kickboxing (2) laughter (3) low glycemic (1) low impact (1) massage (3) medicine ball (3) meditation (2) muffins (1) muscle cramps (2) muscles (2) mushrooms (2) music (3) nap (1) nutrition (6) nuts (3) oatmeal (4) omega-3 (1) overeating (2) overload (1) overtraining (1) paleo diet (4) parkour (1) pasta (2) peace (1) pickles (1) pilates (2) plate (2) plyos (6) podcast (1) pomegranate (1) portions (2) pose (2) posture (2) prevention (4) protein (11) pull muscles (2) pumpkin (1) push muscles (2) push ups (5) pyramid (1) quinoa (1) ratio (1) recipe (49) recovery (8) relaxing (4) resistance bands (1) rest (6) rock climbing (1) running (20) safety (2) seeds (1) shoes (2) shooting (1) shoulders (4) sick (2) sitting (1) ski (1) sleep (10) smoothie (3) snack (17) snow (2) snowboard (1) sparkling juice (1) sparkling natural soda (1) spinach (4) sprain (1) squash (3) squat (2) stairs (3) standing (1) strain (1) strength (16) stress (4) stretching (5) superset (1) sweat (4) sweet potatoes (3) swimming (2) vegetables (6) versaclimber (1) video games (1) walking (4) water (11) water aerobics (1) weight (1) weight lifting (5) Wii (1) winter (9) yoga (10) yogurt (7) zucchini (4)