Thursday, May 12, 2011

296/365 How Foot Strike Running Keeps me Moving

Friends and Fitness Enthusiasts,

About a year ago, I was suffering from major pain in my shins and eventually my knees from running. I was diagnosed with "external compartmental fasciitis" which means that the sheath of fascia surrounding the muscles in my leg are too tight for my muscles when blood flows through it from physical activity like running. I was told to either stop running or get surgery to slice open the fascia. My family advised me not to go through the surgery and get orthotics to correct my pronated feet. Kelby's mom told me to cut down my running to twice a week so I didn't have to give it up entirely. By doing all this, I was able to keep up running.

Last fall, I did an internship with Acceleration Richmond where we coached athletes on improving their running form, speed, agility, and quickness. Here is where I learned to run on the balls of my feet or running with "foot strike." I really think this is what fixed my shin splints and my "external compartmental fasciitis." By running on the balls of your feet, it doesn't really matter whether your feet are pronated or supinated, just that you point your toes forward. Not only do I run faster with no pain in my shins or knees, I have also noticed a change in the shape of my calves. Before, only the inner half of my gastrocnemius muscle was defined but now the outer half is coming out. Also, my calves are just leaner in general, woo!

So there you have it, foot strike running is an efficient way of running that inherently corrects your pronated feet. It should also be able to fix your shin splints without all that ice and rest. Remember that your body isn't used to it so start out slow. Happy running!

In health,

Lauren

No comments:

Post a Comment

Labels

abdominals (19) alcohol (2) almonds (3) antiperspirants (1) apparel (6) apples (6) avocado (3) back (13) baking (13) balance (6) banana (2) barley (1) blood pressure (2) book (1) bosu (4) bread (5) breakfast (9) brownies (1) calf stretch (1) calories (4) candy (2) carbohydrates (5) cardio (23) chest (5) chicken breast (2) chocolate (16) cholesterol (2) circuit training (3) cold (1) computer (1) control (19) cookie (3) core (6) cycling (5) dancing (3) delicious (7) desk (1) diabetes (1) diet (32) donating blood (1) downward facing dog (2) endurance training (3) energy (7) energy drinks (1) exercise (92) fat (6) feeling good (6) fiber (5) fitness (10) flaxseeds (2) food (62) form (2) fruit (13) gait (6) gardening (1) goal (10) granola (5) grape seed oil (2) hamstrings (3) headstand (1) healthy (24) heart disease (1) heart rate (5) hearty (2) hiking (2) hips (2) holiday (5) hydration (10) ice (1) injury (2) intervals (6) jiu jitsu (1) journal (2) jump rope (2) junk food (25) kale (1) kickboxing (2) laughter (3) low glycemic (1) low impact (1) massage (3) medicine ball (3) meditation (2) muffins (1) muscle cramps (2) muscles (2) mushrooms (2) music (3) nap (1) nutrition (6) nuts (3) oatmeal (4) omega-3 (1) overeating (2) overload (1) overtraining (1) paleo diet (4) parkour (1) pasta (2) peace (1) pickles (1) pilates (2) plate (2) plyos (6) podcast (1) pomegranate (1) portions (2) pose (2) posture (2) prevention (4) protein (11) pull muscles (2) pumpkin (1) push muscles (2) push ups (5) pyramid (1) quinoa (1) ratio (1) recipe (49) recovery (8) relaxing (4) resistance bands (1) rest (6) rock climbing (1) running (20) safety (2) seeds (1) shoes (2) shooting (1) shoulders (4) sick (2) sitting (1) ski (1) sleep (10) smoothie (3) snack (17) snow (2) snowboard (1) sparkling juice (1) sparkling natural soda (1) spinach (4) sprain (1) squash (3) squat (2) stairs (3) standing (1) strain (1) strength (16) stress (4) stretching (5) superset (1) sweat (4) sweet potatoes (3) swimming (2) vegetables (6) versaclimber (1) video games (1) walking (4) water (11) water aerobics (1) weight (1) weight lifting (5) Wii (1) winter (9) yoga (10) yogurt (7) zucchini (4)