Monday, April 11, 2011

265/365 Vegetarian Bean Curry

Friends and Fitness Enthusiasts,

As promised, here is the dish that I made that compliments the quinoa from yesterday so well. My motive for making a bean and lentil dish was because of a packaged version from TastyBite. Don't get me wrong, it tastes pretty good, just really salty. I figured that I could make my own with less salt and with more nutrition. I found this recipe from allrecipes.com. I mostly stuck to the recipe but had to make a few adjustments since I had diced tomatoes instead of crushed. I decided to add more liquid since the crushed tomatoes usually gives more liquid by nature and I didn't want this to dry out.

The tweaks are as follows:
- I did not put cayenne pepper because I didn't have any. After trying a little spoonful of the sauce, I was happy I didn't as the curry powder provided its own kick. If you like things a little more spicy, go for it!
- I didn't put kidney beans because I had a little box of mushrooms that I wanted to use. I chopped my mushrooms and used about 1.5 cups chopped baby bella mushrooms
- Like I said, I had to add more liquid. I used 1 cup of vegetable stock made from water and a vegetable stock cube

It is quite good and I was very pleased with myself and my pairing prowess. The spiciness and saltiness of this dish jive nicely with the light quinoa. I'm sure this would be good with brown rice or on crackers. According to thedailyplate.com, this dish is a little over 200 calories with more fiber and more protein.

In health,

Lauren

No comments:

Post a Comment

Labels

abdominals (19) alcohol (2) almonds (3) antiperspirants (1) apparel (6) apples (6) avocado (3) back (13) baking (13) balance (6) banana (2) barley (1) blood pressure (2) book (1) bosu (4) bread (5) breakfast (9) brownies (1) calf stretch (1) calories (4) candy (2) carbohydrates (5) cardio (23) chest (5) chicken breast (2) chocolate (16) cholesterol (2) circuit training (3) cold (1) computer (1) control (19) cookie (3) core (6) cycling (5) dancing (3) delicious (7) desk (1) diabetes (1) diet (32) donating blood (1) downward facing dog (2) endurance training (3) energy (7) energy drinks (1) exercise (92) fat (6) feeling good (6) fiber (5) fitness (10) flaxseeds (2) food (62) form (2) fruit (13) gait (6) gardening (1) goal (10) granola (5) grape seed oil (2) hamstrings (3) headstand (1) healthy (24) heart disease (1) heart rate (5) hearty (2) hiking (2) hips (2) holiday (5) hydration (10) ice (1) injury (2) intervals (6) jiu jitsu (1) journal (2) jump rope (2) junk food (25) kale (1) kickboxing (2) laughter (3) low glycemic (1) low impact (1) massage (3) medicine ball (3) meditation (2) muffins (1) muscle cramps (2) muscles (2) mushrooms (2) music (3) nap (1) nutrition (6) nuts (3) oatmeal (4) omega-3 (1) overeating (2) overload (1) overtraining (1) paleo diet (4) parkour (1) pasta (2) peace (1) pickles (1) pilates (2) plate (2) plyos (6) podcast (1) pomegranate (1) portions (2) pose (2) posture (2) prevention (4) protein (11) pull muscles (2) pumpkin (1) push muscles (2) push ups (5) pyramid (1) quinoa (1) ratio (1) recipe (49) recovery (8) relaxing (4) resistance bands (1) rest (6) rock climbing (1) running (20) safety (2) seeds (1) shoes (2) shooting (1) shoulders (4) sick (2) sitting (1) ski (1) sleep (10) smoothie (3) snack (17) snow (2) snowboard (1) sparkling juice (1) sparkling natural soda (1) spinach (4) sprain (1) squash (3) squat (2) stairs (3) standing (1) strain (1) strength (16) stress (4) stretching (5) superset (1) sweat (4) sweet potatoes (3) swimming (2) vegetables (6) versaclimber (1) video games (1) walking (4) water (11) water aerobics (1) weight (1) weight lifting (5) Wii (1) winter (9) yoga (10) yogurt (7) zucchini (4)