Tuesday, April 19, 2011

273/365 My Remedies for when I'm Feeling Sick

Friends and Fitness Enthusiasts,

Though I do my best to have a sound mind and body, I too get sick sometimes. This just might be allergies from dust in a book that I'm reading but, it inspired me to write a blog about what I do when I'm sick.

I like to load up on my vitamins and antioxidants by drinking Naked juice. Multi-vitamins and pure vitamin C are good but nothing is better than getting those nutrients right from the source. I chose their Blue Machine drink because it was high in vitamins C, E, B3, B5, B6, B12, and fiber; it also tastes awesome. Pretty much all of their "machine" drinks are tasty delicious and good for you. My parents always have me take a vitamin C pill when I'm feeling sick or about to be sick (my sister Kathleen takes Airborne which is essentially a fizzy version of a vitamin C tablet). This usually does the trick and stops the sickness before it really starts.

This allergic reaction/sickness has also manifested into a sore throat. For that, I like to drink tea with lemon and honey (or a Hot Toddy if you've got brandy). Honey has been thought to have antimicrobial properties; this is how it's able to kill the germs making you sick when you sip its sweetness in your tea. If you don't buy into that, it certainly tastes delicious.

On top of increasing vitamin C, veggies in general, and drinking tea, I also make sure I get lots of sleep when I'm feeling under the weather. Sleep is your body's spa where it can rest and rejuvenate. Your cells get tired from fighting bacteria and keeping up your immune system. Make sure you get to bed early if you want a quick recovery. Also, remember that you shouldn't overexert yourself when you start to feel better. You are likely to relapse and get sick even worse than you did in the first place. It's good to get fresh air but, don't force yourself back into moderate-vigorous exercise just yet.

In health,

Lauren

1 comment:

  1. My friend Breck, who I met in Italy last summer, gave me a brilliant Hot Toddy recipe that uses bourbon rather than brandy. I can highly recommend it, if you like bourbon or you're curious! :D

    ReplyDelete

Labels

abdominals (19) alcohol (2) almonds (3) antiperspirants (1) apparel (6) apples (6) avocado (3) back (13) baking (13) balance (6) banana (2) barley (1) blood pressure (2) book (1) bosu (4) bread (5) breakfast (9) brownies (1) calf stretch (1) calories (4) candy (2) carbohydrates (5) cardio (23) chest (5) chicken breast (2) chocolate (16) cholesterol (2) circuit training (3) cold (1) computer (1) control (19) cookie (3) core (6) cycling (5) dancing (3) delicious (7) desk (1) diabetes (1) diet (32) donating blood (1) downward facing dog (2) endurance training (3) energy (7) energy drinks (1) exercise (92) fat (6) feeling good (6) fiber (5) fitness (10) flaxseeds (2) food (62) form (2) fruit (13) gait (6) gardening (1) goal (10) granola (5) grape seed oil (2) hamstrings (3) headstand (1) healthy (24) heart disease (1) heart rate (5) hearty (2) hiking (2) hips (2) holiday (5) hydration (10) ice (1) injury (2) intervals (6) jiu jitsu (1) journal (2) jump rope (2) junk food (25) kale (1) kickboxing (2) laughter (3) low glycemic (1) low impact (1) massage (3) medicine ball (3) meditation (2) muffins (1) muscle cramps (2) muscles (2) mushrooms (2) music (3) nap (1) nutrition (6) nuts (3) oatmeal (4) omega-3 (1) overeating (2) overload (1) overtraining (1) paleo diet (4) parkour (1) pasta (2) peace (1) pickles (1) pilates (2) plate (2) plyos (6) podcast (1) pomegranate (1) portions (2) pose (2) posture (2) prevention (4) protein (11) pull muscles (2) pumpkin (1) push muscles (2) push ups (5) pyramid (1) quinoa (1) ratio (1) recipe (49) recovery (8) relaxing (4) resistance bands (1) rest (6) rock climbing (1) running (20) safety (2) seeds (1) shoes (2) shooting (1) shoulders (4) sick (2) sitting (1) ski (1) sleep (10) smoothie (3) snack (17) snow (2) snowboard (1) sparkling juice (1) sparkling natural soda (1) spinach (4) sprain (1) squash (3) squat (2) stairs (3) standing (1) strain (1) strength (16) stress (4) stretching (5) superset (1) sweat (4) sweet potatoes (3) swimming (2) vegetables (6) versaclimber (1) video games (1) walking (4) water (11) water aerobics (1) weight (1) weight lifting (5) Wii (1) winter (9) yoga (10) yogurt (7) zucchini (4)